UBC’s Energy and Water Services (EWS) is responsible for several energy projects and programs that are saving UBC significant amounts of energy and associated operational costs.
In the 2014/2015 fiscal year, UBC reduced campus electrical use by 6.7 gigawatt hours (GWh), equivalent to shutting down our Vancouver campus for two weeks. We also saved 75,000 gigajoules (GJ) of natural gas, equivalent to taking 780 cars off the road.
Here are some of the projects that have contributed to energy savings and efficiencies at UBC.
- 2001-2008 ECOTrek
- 2010 Pilot Phase of the Building-Tuneup program
- 2012 Aquatic Centre Condensate Heat Recovery Project
- 2012 Campus Coil Cleaning
- 2013 Air Filter Changing
- 2013 Phase 1 of the Building-Tuneup program
- 2013 ICICS/CS Heat Recovery Chiller Retrofit
- 2013 Life Sciences Centre optimizations
- 2014 Centre for Comparative Medicine Boiler Retrofit
- 2014 Biological Sciences West
- 2014 Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 2015 Phase 2 of the Building-Tuneup program
- 2015 Earth Sciences Variable Air Volume Exhaust project
- 2017 LED Lighting Retrofit Campaign